The AR Upper Tension Set Screw is designed to remove the play found on many AR platforms. Unlike other devices, this set screw features a brass head designed to conform to the mating surface on the upper, remaining set once installed.
Most set screws contain nylon, which can compress over time requiring continuous adjustment. Other designs include a cheap insert that will suffer the same fate with time and in some cases will provide too tight of an upper/lower fit. This can increase the difficulty with disassembly and damage the upper receiver.
Additionally, the brass tipped AR upper tension set screw is made of alloy steel to prevent bimetallic (galvanic) corrosion. Prior to ordering, measure the depth of the threads in your lower and the gap between the upper and lower. Use a toothpick or calipers and select the set screw you need based on your measurements.
For most AR-15 lowers the 3/4″ or 1″ set screw will suit your needs best offering the greatest range of adjustment. AR-10 lowers are best suited to use the 3/4″ set screw.
To install the set screw and set your tension the process is simple:
1. Insure you have access to proper PPE such as safety glasses and that your firearm is unloaded.
2. Insure your upper is secure to the lower with both take down pins installed and apply thread locker to the set screw.
3. Remove the pistol grip screw and insert the set screw (brass side up) in the rearmost screw hole.
4. Using a 1/8″ Allen key, run the set screw until it contacts the upper and adjust it until the play is removed.
5. Check the ease in which you can remove the rear take down pin and adjust the set screw until you have a healthy balance of upper tension and pressure on the take down pin so it’s removal is somewhat snug.
6. Install pistol grip and wait 24-36 hours before shooting to allow thread-locking compound to fully cure.
Please follow and like us:
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.